Tips For Septic System Maintenance
Here are some simple tips to follow to maintain your septic tank and system in great condition. Taking care of it isn’t that difficult when you follow these simple rules:
- Check faucets and toilets for leaks; make repairs if necessary.
- Don’t use your toilet as garbage disposal. Never flush cat litter, disposable diapers, sanitary napkins, tampons, paper towels, facial tissues, coffee grounds or cigarette butts and filters down the toilet.
- Don’t pour grease down the drain because it can clog the drainfield.
- Minimize the use of eavy-duty cleaners. Overuse of heavy-duty cleaners kills beneficial bacteria in the septic tank, so solids won’t break down as well.
- Do not use hazardous chemicals such as varnish, paint thinners, motor oils, gasoline and other similar chemicals because these can ruin your septic system.