Water conservation is not just good for the environment — it can help septic systems thrive as well. Septic systems treat household wastewater, but an overload of water can quickly overwhelm the system. Conserving water helps prevent an overflowing septic tank.
Standard septic tanks can hold 1,200 to 1,500 gallons of water. It is vital that homeowners are aware of the exact sizes of their septic systems, as this can help them monitor water consumption. Seventy-five percent of septic system failures are a direct result of an overloaded system.
The septic tank serves as a buffer that slows down and separates wastewater before it flows through the outlet. The waste is then divided into three layers:
- Top Layer: Lightweight scum layer (water, oils, and grease).
- Middle Layer: Effluent or liquid waste. The inlet and outlet are located in the middle of gravity septic tanks which push out effluent to the drain field as top and bottom layer waste is collected.
- Bottom Layer: Solid waste or sludge layer. Half of the sludge is decomposed by bacteria and becomes liquid or gas.
The water that exits through the middle layer (effluent) travels through perforated pipes and filters through gravel in the soil. Viruses, chemicals, and pathogens are filtered out by the bacteria in the soil, and the treated water ultimately returns to the water table.
It takes time for the process to run its course. A household that uses more water than the septic tank can manage runs the risk of disrupting their septic system. The presence of excess water forces water through septic tank outlets and floods the drain field with treated and untreated water. This water can infiltrate nearby wells and contaminate drinking water. It is possible to save water by:
- Repairing leaky faucets
- Using energy efficient appliances
- Washing cars sparingly
- Taking showers instead of baths
- Spacing out loads of laundry
- Running the dishwasher only when it’s full
A good rule of thumb is for each person in one home to use approximately 50 gallons of water a day.
The use of effective septic tank treatment can break down septic sludge and prevent a septic tank overflow. Maxx’s Products offers eco-friendly premium products that promote a healthy system.
Our septic tank additives are biodegradable and can clear septic tanks of unnecessary build-up by simply being flushed down the toilet furthest from the septic tank. Contact us to place your order today.