Hurricane season is in full swing. Storming and flooding are more common this time of year than any other, which is why it is most important to be aware of how storms affect your septic system. Flooding sufficiently saturates the soil and puts all septic system components in danger of dismemberment. The septic tank itself is at risk of surfacing during a flood, especially if the tank is lightweight and was recently pumped. Take heed to these post-flood septic care tips to best protect your septic system during this storm season.
Post-Flood Septic Care Tips
There isn’t much you can do to protect your system during a flood, but after the flood water has subsided, there are some safety steps to take. First and foremost, avoid drinking any water before the local health department has tested it. Contaminated groundwater can easily fill a well during a flood and endanger all who consume it. In reference to septic system care, homeowners should keep a few things in mind:
- Avoid using the sewage system until water in the drain field is lower than the water around the home.
- Have a professional inspect your septic system for damages and disruptions. Although the septic tank itself is not prone to damage, debris and silt can easily clog pipes.
- Do not attempt to fix septic tank issues. Septic tanks are filled with harmful gases and fumes that can have life-threatening consequences if inhaled.
- Have a professional pump your septic tank as soon as possible. They should pump both the tank and the lift station to eliminate silt and debris.
- Avoid compacting the soil over the drain field by driving heavy machinery or equipment over septic system fixtures.
- Check to see if the manhole cover is secure and that inspection ports are clear of debris.
- Check the vegetation above your septic tank and in the drain field.
It is important to know that the possibility of sewage backing up into your home increases when the water table is high or during a flood. The only way to prevent this from occurring is to limit water usage during and after a flood.
Your septic system loses bacteria during a flood and every time you pump your septic tank. Replenish that bacteria with Maxx’s Products. Maxx’s Products Trillion Tabs supplies septic tanks with billions of bacteria lost after a pump out while combatting slow flushing and clogged septic tanks. Contact us today at 800-397-2384 to discover how to get a hold of our highly efficient septic tank treatment.